December 4th, 2008 by sashafaith
I am writing this post to talk myself through a project I need to finish before December 12 (today is the 4th), but it takes several steps and needs a careful proofreading by my aunt. I made a book as a Christmas gift for my aunt last year. It was kind of a surprise, although I did need to gather information and photos from her family and she knew I was doing it. (She’s married to my mom’s brother) My book for her was a combination of a family history for her branch of the family and ours, and included photos of her kids, and many of our Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations. She loved it so much she said she wanted to hire me to make books for her family for Christmas ’08. We started talking about it in the spring, so well prepared. We were going to get it done well before the holidays, of course…
This week she finally came down with photos. I have to give her a lot of credit. She knew what I could make, and she knew what she wanted to include and she was soooo thorough in preparing for it. I have our full family tree in my computer, but had to hand update many lines in my Ancestry.com family tree to fill in important information. Ancestry will organize all the facts, faces and info very nicely, but you have to put it in there first.
- 2 Page spread of Family Tree (two 5 generation pedigrees for each of her parents that meet in the middle where the 7 kids will be shown.)
- 2 pages of Kane ancestry
- 2 pages of Reynolds ancestry & photos
- Family Group pages for each of her 7 siblings including wedding photos & 3 family photos
- Christmas Page
- Vacation Page
- Our Faith Page
- Brother in Laws Page
- Random Favorite Pictures 2 pages
- The Next Generation 1 page
My plan of attack:
- Enter all of the names and dates given to me for ancestors, siblings & kids in ancestry tree online. (save for later addition to my Reunion tree)
- Scan all of the photographs
- Minor editing and color correction on photos in Photoshop
- Duplicate and break up the photos into head shots where indicated
- Upload all to Ancestry.com (save for later addition to Reunion)
- Link all photos to their respective people in Ancestry.
- Create the book using the automated feature on My Canvas
- Delete additional pages (extra timelines, census pages, etc. – we can’t afford to include these)
- Add extra pages & photographs as indicated.
- Share book with my aunt online so she can proof read it – she will send me a list of changes)
- Make the changes required
- Read through one more time
- Deadline for publishing (before paying for expedited orders) by Dec 11 for Delivery to her house Dec 23.
Wish me luck!